Mixbus works on 3 different desktop operating systems ( Mac, Windows, and Linux ). Each system has its own conventions for installation. Rather than force the user to learn an unconventional installation procedure, we have made Mixbus follow the conventions of the OS you are using.
- On Mac OSX, Mixbus is provided as an application “bundle” inside a DMG file. Just open the bundle, and drag Mixbus to your Applications folder.
- On Windows, Mixbus is provided with a step-by-step installer that prompts you for the installation location and then installs Mixbus.
- On Linux, Mixbus is provided as a zip file that, when unzipped, provides an installation script.
The following pages explain the details for installing Mixbus on various operating systems:
When you first run Mixbus, you will be prompted to enter the license for your purchase. You can learn more about that here: License Installation
Mixbus runs on nearly any desktop or laptop computer running Windows, Mac, or Linux. There is a free “demo” version to see if Mixbus works with your setup.
- OS version: 10.6.8 or newer, v5.3 and newer includes 10.15 (Catalina).
- Any CoreAudio-supported audio device.
- Supported plugin formats: AudioUnit, VST, VST3.
- OS version: Windows XP or newer.
- ASIO audio devices are preferred for high performance. But Mixbus can also use built-in soundcards (choose the MME driver).
- Supported plugin formats: VST, VST3
- Kernel version 2.6 or higher. An audio-based distribution such as AVLinux, UbuntuStudio, or CCRMA is recommended.
- ALSA or JACK-supported audio device.
- Supported plugins: VST, VST3
- 2+ cpu cores/processors are highly recommended.
- 2Gig or more RAM is highly recommended (or much more, if you use sample-based virtual instruments).
- A 3-button mouse with scrollwheel is highly recommended. ( see note about Mac touchpads and magic-mouse )
- A full-size keyboard with number pad is highly recommended.
- 250 MB available hard disk space (for program installation only).
- For Mixbus: A monitor with a height of 900 pixels (or more) is highly recommended.